Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The third nipple of Venus


Reminiscing my time in Paris continues, from busts to nipples. You'll hopefully sense how pissed I was at the time the photo was taken at Louvre. Right before making my first public performative piece, I witnessed three mid-aged men taking selfies and mimicking to pinch Gabrielle d'Estrées' painted nipple.

Highlighting this artwork as a curiosity pick in the printed visitors guide, and not giving any discussional or curatorial material at the Richelieu wing, makes me wonder if this is a counter argument towards this conversation stater. And do not get me wrong, I personally love this painting and it is an important piece to be exhibited, representing the field of commissioned and very personal art purchases in the 16th century. 

Meanwhile, Musee d'Orsay across the Seine is currently hosting a very well curated exhibition of Donatien Alphonse François de Sade's cultural impact. Even though the artworks and the quotes displayed are heavy material, every visitor there behaved like they were at an art exhibition observing culture in an art museum, and not somewhere you should get amused by nudity in a painting.

The way Louvre is exhibiting the painting, makes me think that this still should be a current topic

Venus' third nipples and Finger exercises, 2013, porcelain, china paints, pearls and other jewellery material. Exhibited at Node Gallery in an antique butterfly case, 40,5 cm x 45cm


In May 2013 Young Designers' Association held a juried Nuditas Spring Exhibition in Node Gallery at the Aalto University Arabia Campus. In the show the student members of the association exhibited works that defined the fine line between art and design - applied art.

I've been making porcelain brooches since 2012. The project is ongoing but the display varies depending on the occasion. The pieces of art have been for sale at Aalto University's semiannual sales and there I've received the whole spectrum of feedback. The loveliest art purchase was made by a recently graduated obstetrician who told me that I have made important work. Believe me, it's the other way around.